Wednesday 3 May 2017

Greenock family’s ‘devastating’ dementia diagnosis


A BRAVE daughter has told how her mum was diagnosed with dementia at only 53 years old.
Greenock woman Carrie Ann Sheekey has spoken out about the devastating impact her mum Helen Leighton’s condition has had on their family and the difficulties they have faced.
Mum-of-two Carrie is now taking on the charity Kiltwalk for the third year in a row in a bid to help raise more awareness and fund research into the disease.


Three years after she was finally diagnosed, her mum Helen now needs round-the-clock care.
She has spent the last two months in hospital and will now be going into a nursing home.
Along with step-dad Malcolm, Carrie Ann is determined to carry on fighting for Helen and hopes to help other families who are suffering as well.
Carrie Ann, 35, a support worker for care organisation Turning Point Scotland said: “When my mum was diagnosed with early onset dementia we realised that there was very little for her.

“All the other services are geared towards people much older than her.
“It came as a shock to us all how little is out there.
“My mum had been having tests for years but because she was so young it took a long time to get there.
“But she finally had a CAT scan which revealed shrinkage in the brain and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.


Carrie Ann and her step-dad first started noticing changes in Helen as far back as 2009.
Care worker Carrie, of Stafford Road, said: “It started with forgetting things like her keys. But she would leave her car somewhere and then we would spend hours looking for it.
“At first the doctors thought it was depression. My mum had to deal with two losses in a short space of time, when my grandad died and then my mum lost her best friend.
“They thought it was the grieving process and then depression. Her symptoms were very close to anxiety.
“My mum definitely knew something was wrong. Her personality started to change.”

As a result of spending so much time researching possible causes and dealing with the impact of her mother’s illness, Carrie Ann decided she wanted to become a mental health professional.
She added: “I did so much research into mental health as I tried to find out what was wrong with my mum that I decided I wanted to be a nurse.

“I am now in my third year at Caledonian University.
“I have found it hard at times. When I am on dementia wards it feels too close to home.”
Helen, now 56, also worked as a carer for Quarriers and Inverclyde Council.
Carrie Ann said: “My mum was so kind and caring. She is very sensitive and that made her a great carer.”

Together Carrie Ann and Malcolm have cared for Helen every step of the way. Malcolm, 54, who has been married to Helen for 18 years, said: “The only word for it is devastating, absolutely devastating.
“I am lucky because I am young enough to care for Helen.”
Malcolm, who also worked as a carer, has had to give up his job but because Helen is under 65 she is not entitled to free personal care.
He said: “We just wouldn’t be able to afford the cost of the care. It is something that affects so many people.”


Carrie Ann’s charity walk will raise money to help other local families who have to face up to the devastating impact of dementia.
She said: “All the money I raise will go towards the Inverclyde branch of Alzheimer’s Scotland so that there can be more services for people with early onset dementia.”

Courageous Carrie Ann will be supported on the 23-mile Kiltwalk trek from Glasgow to Balloch onSunday by her husband Andrew, 37, and her two children Aidan, 12,  and Molly, 10.
Step dad Malcolm said: “I am so proud of Carrie Ann and everything that she does for her mum.” 


SOURCE: Greenock Telegraph, Susan Lochrie

No comments:

Post a Comment